We were inspired to create this list by ANZAC Day, when Australia and New Zealand honor their fallen service members. As supplied by readers here at the blog or on Facebook, there are dozens of books that highlight the determination, beauty and strength of lesbians who live Down Under. We know without a doubt that readers love the lands under the Southern Cross as a literary destination.
Feel free to share this list far and wide! If there's a book that hasn't been added yet, please comment here at this blog so that it remains a useful reference for other readers.
Most of these titles are available at BellaBooks.com in both print and eBook formats. Our eBook formats are compatible with Kindle, Nook, Sony, iPad, smart phones and just about any other reading device on the market.
- Lessons in Murder, the first Carol Ashton mystery from Claire McNab. There are sixteen more. McNab is also the author of the Denise Cleever mysteries set, in part, in Australia, and the romantic Under the Southern Cross.
- Heart on Fire and Forty Love by Diana Simmonds.
- Training Days, Reality Bytes and Reunion by Jane Frances.
- Julia's Song by Ann O'Leary.
- The Feel of Forever by Lyn Denison - just one of Lyn's many romances set in Australia.
- The Kit O'Malley Series by Lindy Cameron.
- Greener than Grass, True Love, Saving Grace and many others by Jennifer Fulton.
- The Amanda Valentine Series by Rose Beecham.
- Love in the Outback by JM Cann.
- Sudden Death, Rita Mae Brown.
- Remember the Tarantella by Finola Moorhead.
- Heart’s Passage and No Ocean Deep by Cate Swannell.
- Fedora Walks by Merrilee Moss.
- River’s Edge by Cath Phillips.
- What Are Ya? by Jenny Pausacker. (Young adult)
- The Monkey’s Mask by Dorothy Porter. (The late Ms Porter’s partner for years, Andrea Goldsmith, is also a writer of fiction.)
- The Year of Freaking Out by Sarah Walker. (Young adult)
- Immortality by Kirsty Machon.
- Timing the Beat by Gina Schein.
- The Exhibition by Marg Girdwood.
- Falling for Grace by Roberta Snow & Jill Taylor. (an anthology)
- The Other Woman and Letting Go by Ann O’Leary.
- The Orphan Gunner by Sara Knox. (Starts in Australia then moves to England during WW II.)
- All of the romance novels of Lyn Denison, including Always & Forever, Dream Lover, Dreams Found, Getting There and Gold Fever.
A shout out is necessary to reader fan Julie D. who supplied many of the titles on this list from her own library. We and other intrepid readers salute you!